Akron’s Recombinant Human Interleukin-2 (rHu IL-2) products are manufactured following all relevant cGMP guidelines for ancillary materials and are supported by a Type II Master File (MF) on file with the FDA and an MF Type I on file with Health Canada which can be referenced during your drug or biologic application process. Our rHu IL-2 amino acid sequence is identical to Proleukin® (aldesleukin), and its functional similarity in T cell expansion has been evaluated and confirmed (see page 3). Akron’s rHu IL-2 is a single chain, 15.3 kDa, non-glycosylated lymphokine analog expressed in E. coli, containing 132 amino acids.
It is purified in a pharmaceutical facility without the use of histidine tags and nickel columns. Sterile filtration with aseptic filling and lyophilization is performed in-house with endotoxin and sterility testing performed per USP/EP on the final product. The lyophilized product is packaged in vials and available in various aliquots, including an aliquot of 22 MIU (AR1002-0022) specifically designed to approximate the activity of Proleukin®, which allows for easy substitution within manufacturing protocols.
• Amino acid sequence identical to Proleukin® / aldesleukin
• Carrier protein-free formulation
• E. coli expression system
• All raw materials are compliant, controlled, and traceable under Akron’s Quality Management System (QMS)
• Type II eCTD MF (#026152) on file with FDA and MF Type I (#e250089) on file with Health Canada
• Tag-free pharmaceutical processing
• Gram-scale production capacity
• In-house sterile filtration with aseptic filling and lyophilization
• Relevant cGMP guidelines used in manufacture, testing, and release
• USP <1043>, Ancillary Materials for Cell, Gene, and Tissue-Engineered Products
• EP 5.2.12, Raw Materials of Biological Origin for the Production of Cell-based and Gene Therapy Medicinal Products
• ISO 13485:2016, Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems - Requirements for Regulatory Purposes
• ISO/TS 20399-1-3:2018, Biotechnology - Ancillary Materials Present During the Production of Cellular Therapeutic Products
• High Purity, Low Endotoxin - Endotoxin and Sterility testing per USP/EP
• 24-month shelf life
• Store at 2-8 °C
• Transport with cold packs
Reconstitute the lyophilized product with 1 mL of sterile Water for Injection (WFI).
For research use or further manufacturing use in ex vivo cell therapy applications only. This product is not intended for direct in vivo use or for direct clinical use as a drug, therapeutic, biologic, or medical device.
• Specific Activity
• Biological Activity
• Molecular Weight
• Western Blot
• Non-Reducing SDS-PAGE
• Reducing SDS-PAGE
• Host Cell-Derived Proteins
• Host Cell DNA
• Bacterial Endotoxins
Figure 1: To examine IL-2 signaling, freshly isolated PBMC from healthy donors were stained with surface antibodies targeting 21 different protein markers prior to in vitro stimulation with IL-2. Single mass cell cytometry was used to compare the effect of Akron’s rHu IL-2 (top) against Proleukin® (bottom) on the expression of pSTAT5, pSTAT3, & pSTAT1 in T cell subsets. (pSTAT5 example shown above).
When results were summarized for six healthy donors, T cell stimulation in vitro by Proleukin® and Akron rHu IL-2 were indistinguishable.
This study was done in collaboration with the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute; study and poster available upon request.
1. Why use Akron’s rHu IL-2?
Akron’s Recombinant Human Interleukin-2 (rHu IL-2) is manufactured following all relevant cGMP guidelines for ancillary materials and is supported by a Type II Master File (MF) with the FDA and a MF Type 1 with Health Canada. It is purified in a pharmaceutical facility without the use of histidine tags and nickel columns. Sterile filtration with aseptic filling and lyophilization are performed in-house with Endotoxin and Sterility testing performed per USP/EP on the final product. Our rHu IL-2 amino acid sequence is identical to Proleukin® (aldesleukin), and its functional similarity in T cell expansion has been evaluated and confirmed (see Product Page).
2. What are the recommended storage conditions for Akron’s rHu IL-2?
We recommend storing this product at 2-8 °C.
3. What are the shipping conditions for Akron’s rHu IL-2?
This product ships on cold packs.
4. What is the shelf-life for Akron’s rHu IL-2?
These products have a shelf life of 24 months after the date of manufacture under recommended controlled storage conditions.
5. How do you reconstitute Akron’s rHu IL-2?
It is recommended that you reconstitute using 1 mL of water for injection (WFI).
6. What organism is used to express Akron’s rHu IL-2?
This product is expressed in E. coli.
7. How is Akron’s rHu IL-2 different than native IL-2?
Akron’s rHu IL-2 is not glycosylated because it is derived from E. Coli and has an identical amino acid sequence to Proleukin® (aldesleukin), which differs from the native IL-2 amino sequence in the following ways: Akron’s rHu IL-2 does not have an N-terminal alanine, and it has a serine substituted in place of a cysteine at position 125. It is likely that the aggregation state is also different than native IL-2.
8. What is the molecular weight of Akron’s rHu IL-2?
Akron’s rHu IL-2 was characterized by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry analysis and was found to have an observed molecular mass of 15,319 Da. Every batch of product is released using a reducing SDS-PAGE molecular weight assay to directly compare against a reference standard.
9. Do you have a Master File (MF) available for this product?
Yes, Akron’s rHu IL-2 has a Type II eCTD MF (#026152) on file with the FDA and an MF Type I (#e250089) on file with Health Canada. We can provide you a Letter of Authorization that will permit these agencies to refer to the information on file in support of your submissions.
10. Does this product have a TSE/BSE statement?
Yes, a TSE/BSE statement is available upon request for this product.
11. Are animal-derived materials used in the manufacture of this product?
All raw materials, components, sub-components, and consumables used in the manufacturing of this product are either animal-free or in compliance with EMEA/410/01 rev. 3. Please see the BSE-TSE Statement.
12. Is virus and pathogen inactivation included in the manufacturing process?
No, because viruses that infect bacteria (bacteriophages) do not pose a known threat to human cells. Virus reduction manufacturing steps are usually not included when purifying material from a bacterial host, as is the case with Akron’s rHu IL-2. We use an E. Coli based expression system that does not require additional virus reduction.
13. What safety testing is done on this product?
Every lot of final product is tested and released, with specifications and methods per USP/EP, for both Endotoxin (USP <85> / EP 2.6.14) and Sterility (USP <71> / EP 2.6.1).
14. Which cell types are suitable?
Akron’s cGMP-compliant rHu IL-2 can be used to promote the activation and proliferation of numerous immune cell types, including CAR-T cells, TCR-T cells, Tregs, TILs, NK cells, CIK cells, B cells, monocytes, and macrophages.
15. Do you have an SDS for this product?
Yes, an SDS is available upon request for this product.
16. How does Akron measure activity for rHu IL-2?
Akron uses a validated leukocyte proliferation assay to report activity. The rHu IL-2 induced proliferation of T lymphocyte HT-2 cells is verified against the World Health Organization (WHO) 2nd international standard by the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control for Interleukin-2 (NIBSC 86/500). Akron uses a parallel-line concentration-response model to calculate a relative potency, per guidelines set forth in USP <1032> and USP <1034> (see Technical Overview).
17. Is the performance comparable to competitor rHu IL-2 products?
The specific activity (MIU/mg) of Akron’s rHu IL-2 batches have historically been comparable to the specific activity of the current international standard (NIBSC 86/500) for IL-2, known to be approximately 13.73 MIU/mg. Akron’s rHu IL-2 amino acid sequence is identical to Proleukin® (aldesleukin), and its functional similarity in T cells has been evaluated and confirmed (data available upon request).
18. What is the intended use for the product?
For research use or further manufacturing use in ex vivo cell therapy applications. This product is not intended for direct in vivo use or for direct clinical use as a drug, therapeutic, biologic, or medical device.
19. What packaging options are available?
Akron’s lyophilized rHu IL-2 is available in 4 different aliquot sizes: 1 mg, 100 ug, 10 ug, and 22 MIU. All aliquot sizes are packaged in generic colorless ampoule bottles made from Type I borosilicate glass that are sterilized before filling. These ampoule bottles have a nominal fill volume of 2 mL with a minimum overflow volume of 3 mL. The bottles are closed with a gray bromobutyl rubber stopper and sealed with a flip-top aluminum seal that are both sterile before aseptic filling. Akron also offers our rHu IL-2 in a liquid formulation that is packaged into both prefilled syringes and closed system bags (inquire for packaging details).
20. Do I need to use a sterile needle and syringe to remove the product from the vial?
No, our vial packaging was chosen for easy access with a laboratory pipette.
IL-2 plays a major role in both upregulating and downregulating the body’s immune response. It is critical for the homeostasis and differentiation of many immune cell types and is involved in the immune system’s ability for self-tolerance. The pleiotropic nature of cytokines is especially diverse in IL-2 due to its signal being transduced by at least three different primary signaling pathways. The trimeric IL-2 receptor protein (IL-2R) shares an identical subunit with the IL-7, IL-15, and IL-21 receptor proteins and activates some of the same signal transduction mechanisms. Akron’s cGMP-compliant rHu IL-2 can be used to promote the activation and proliferation of numerous immune cell types, including CAR-T cells, TCR-T cells, Tregs, TILs, NK cells, CIK cells, B cells, monocytes, and macrophages.
Lyophilized (10 µg) Cat. # AK8223-0010
Lyophilized (100 µg) Cat. # AK8223-0100
Lyophilized (1 mg) Cat. # AK8223-1000
Lyophilized (22 MIU) Cat. # AR1002-0022
Liquid Syringe (1 mg) Cat. # AK9984-1000
Liquid Syringe (500 µg) Cat # AK9984-0500
Liquid CSS (100 µg) Cat. # AR1045-0010